Brighton & Hove - Local Discretionary Social Fund Application

In order to qualify for this fund, the following criteria must be met:

  • You are a resident of Brighton & Hove or have been placed in accommodation by Brighton & Hove City Council
  • You are in receipt of, or have underlying entitlement to a DWP benefit or Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction (Council Tax exemptions or discounts do not apply).

This is our standard Local Discretionary Social Fund application form. Please fill in whatever information you can, even though some of the questions might not seem to apply to you. We will then check to see what other help you could get.

If you are having difficulty filling in the form, please see if somebody else can help you. If you do not have anyone to help, call 01273 293117 (Option 1). But please help us to keep the lines free for people who are extremely vulnerable and have no access to the internet.

Please click the relevant links, if you wish to apply for a Discretionary Payment for Rent in Advance or Removal Costs, as you cannot apply for these expenses through this fund. If you are waiting for your benefit payment from the DWP, please contact them to discuss a short term advance of benefit on 0800 1690310 or via your online journal (Universal Credit applicants only)

Please choose the option from below that best describes your current circumstances:

Continue a saved form

Choose this option to retrieve a previously saved form - enter your reference number from last time and click Continue to carry on
Loading section. Please wait a few moments... Please wait while we search for your details

How we collect and use information

The council collects information for Local Discretionary Social Fund, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction purposes, but it may be used for any of the council’s purposes. We may check information that you provide, or that a third party provides about you, with other information we hold. We may also get information about you from certain third parties, or give information to them to check the accuracy of information, to prevent or detect crime, or to protect public funds in other ways as permitted by law. These third parties include government departments and local authorities. We will not disclose information about you to anyone outside the council unless the law permits us to. The council is registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 for these purposes and is the Data Controller. If you want to know more about what information we hold about you, or the way we use this information, please write to the council’s Data Protection Officer at Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 4AH.

Food Image courtesy of digitalart /; Mattress Image courtesy of John Kasawa /; House Image courtesy of Salvatore Vuono /